A new display to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War and to commemorate the service and sacrifice of the parishioners of St Marie’s.
In 1920 Father Dolan re-built the High Altar as a memorial to those men of the parish of St Marie who had died fighting for their country in the Great War. A bronze plaque commemorating the parishioners who died can also be seen by the Baptistery.
“To the Glory of God and in honour of those of this parish who gave their lives in the Great War We for whom they died have built the high altar of this Church for the Peace of their souls and erected this tablet which records their names that they may be held in affectionate and perpetual memory”.
This exhibition has been created by Isabel Hyde, Alastair Lewis, Molly Spawton and Tyler Wrenn from Sheffield University, with support from Martin Watts and Amy Baggaley.
With thanks to;
Deacon Bill Burleigh
Images courtesy of;
www.picturesheffield.com Archives and local studies library
Imperial War Museum IWM film 1672, Q 4248, Q64438, PST 5277
Yorkshire Film Archive
New Walk Museum and Art Gallery
Leicester Arts and Museums Service
Master Cutlers Company