The Parish Pastoral Council of the Cathedral Church of St Marie
The Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) is composed of members of St. Marie's congregation. Members of the PPC reflect the diversity of the large parish community, and include those who attend a range of the Cathedral's main Sunday masses. The PPC acts as a consultative and dynamic body, aiming to assist the Parish Priest in his role in service of the community. All areas of day-to-day pastoral activity in St. Marie's are potential areas in which the PPC may act in assistance of the Parish Priest. Common activities in which the PPC has involvement include evangelisation, fundraising initiatives, communication, and mobilisation of the community. The PPC also act to nurture much of the activity within the parish - be it in prayer, charity, community social gatherings, or in artistic endeavours such as music-making. It exists to build the parish community; encouraging all parishioners to play a full part in the life of St. Marie's, and in support of the efforts of its leadership. As per the guidelines of the Second Vatican Council when PPCs were first initiated, PPC activity occurs in the important context of prayer and openness to the Holy Spirit, so that the common good will always prevail.
As an inner-city large Cathedral parish - there are particular challenges (and rewards) to life as a PPC member. The parish community is large and very diverse, with parishioners from all main continents. The Cathedral is a place of significant historical interest, architectural beauty and national heritage, and attracts many from outside the Catholic community for secular events. It is also the mother church of the Diocese of Hallam, and hosts many large Diocesan events requiring effective mobilisation and planning.
The PPC is always on the lookout for new members from our community, and would be interested in hearing from any parishioner who feels they have something to offer. Should you wish to know more, please contact the Secretary, Niall Corroon, at firstname.lastname@example.org
PPC Aims and Objectives – The Parish Pastoral Council shall:
- Promote the growth in spirituality of each individual and enable everyone to increase the understanding of their Faith.
- Continue to seek God’s Will for His creation, promoting justice, peace and reconciliation.
- Build the Parish community by encouraging all Parishioners to play a full and active part in Parish activities, enabling them to use their skills for the benefit of the Parish, promoting better communication; and developing contacts with other Parishes, Christian churches and other faiths.
- Support the work of the Cathedral clergy, staff, Parish groups and all others working in the Parish, encouraging the development of broader ministries to serve the Parish and wider community.
- Ensure ethical management of Parish resources and promote best practice within the Parish.